To understand the current sentiment around crypto among consumers in America, we put together the first annual Crypto Confidence Survey, together with Savanta. We wanted to know the differences in outlook among current crypto owners versus the broader population, and how each sees crypto fitting into their financial lives. How do different generations approach crypto? And what about women versus men? With over 6,000 responses, the people have spoken and their confidence is high. Here are the results of the first annual Crypto Confidence Survey.
AMERICANS ARE BULLISH ON CRYPTO
THEY’RE READY TO BUY & THE GENDER GAP SHRINKS
- One-third of Americans (37%) say that it is moderately or very likely that they will purchase cryptocurrency in 2022.
- While American men are twice as likely as American women to currently own crypto (30% vs. 15%), men and women are equally likely to consider buying crypto in 2022 (60% vs. 62%).
EVERY GENERATION WANTS IN
say they will likely buy crypto in 2022.
IT’S NOT JUST FOR PROFIT, AMERICANS BELIEVE IN CRYPTO
- Nearly half of Americans surveyed (48%) believe that cryptocurrency will be widely accepted within the next 3 years.
- 76% of Voyager customers agree that owning cryptocurrency is a way to protect against inflation.
- Americans are confident in crypto’s ability to act as...
PEOPLE ARE HUNGRY TO LEARN
- Two-thirds of Americans surveyed (66%) believe that cryptocurrency should be taught in high school or earlier.
- Most Americans (55%) want to learn more about cryptocurrency, including two-thirds (67%) of Millennials.
CRYPTO IS A GROWING PART OF EVERYDAY LIFE
- Nearly half (49%) of all current crypto owners hold at least $1,000 in cryptocurrency.
- Two-thirds (66%) of crypto owners have recommended cryptocurrency to their friends and/or family.
Active and hands-on
- Crypto owners are three times as likely as other Americans to do research at least once weekly.
- They are less likely than other American investors to own mutual funds (29% vs. 36%).
- Crypto owners are twice as likely as other Americans to describe themselves as hands-on investors (28% vs. 14%).
Proud community members
- 28% of crypto owners have posted about cryptocurrency online.
- Nearly one-third (30%) of cryptocurrency owners were attracted by the community around cryptocurrency.
CRYPTO MYTHS, BUSTED...
Crypto owners are proponents of diversified portfolios, and one-third of cryptocurrency owners (36%) say that diversifying is one of the reasons they originally got into cryptocurrency.
That wraps up the highlights of the first annual Crypto Confidence Survey. Tag @InvestVoyager on Twitter with any data that surprised you, felt obvious, or captured your sentiment dead-on. Feel free to reach out to Voyager for more information about our methodology.
See you next year for 2023’s results,
Statistics from an online survey of Americans aged 18+ designed by Voyager Digital and fielded by Savanta between December 10-20, 2021. Key subgroups include a Census-representative sample of Americans aged 18+ (n=1,006), an oversample of current owners of cryptocurrency (n=996), and a sample of current Voyager customers (n=4,325). The margin of error for the general population sample is ± 3.1% at the 95% confidence level.